Video Project Final Draft

IDEA AND INSPIRATION

For my video project, I decided to make an instructional type video on the basics of driving a manual transmission. I’ve had this idea ever since the start of the semester. The reason I chose to do this particular video was because I remembered how frustrating it was for me when I first learned to drive stick and I was hoping I’d be able to explain the process better than when it was taught to me.

Regrettably, I wasn’t really able to accomplish this goal at its fullest because I only had two minutes to work with, so I resorted to explaining the bare basics of driving a manual.

DESIGN PROCESS

The challenge I faced throughout the entire design process was that I only had spring break to get my footage. If I messed up, it wag going to be a huge problem because I couldn’t go back and reshoot any footage. Which is what ended up happening.

Most of the shots of me going through the driving process were shot vertically and the camera was very shaky and it was just a sloppy mistake by me. Luckily, I had my brother shoot some B-roll while I was driving that was shot nicely and was useable in for my video.

The audio I originally used was just my voice as I was shooting my original footage. This was also a little sloppy because of the background noise that was picked up and the fact I was little unprepared on what I was going to say.

Saying that I uploaded a rough draft last week is an understatement because it was very rough and I had a lot of work to do.

REVISON PROCESS

I was very stressed throughout this revision process, because there was nothing I could really do with the footage I didn’t like and I couldn’t reshoot anything. I also tried to cover way too much content so everything I explained in my video felt rushed to me.

The feedback I received from my peers was super helpful. One of the suggestions was to re-record my audio to get rid of the background noise. This also allowed me to shorten what I was explaining to a more concise and cohesive version than my rough draft. Re-recording the narrative also helped me realize that I could replace the bad footage I had with images I found from the Creative Commons search engine.

Using images also allowed me to get creative with visual transitions, which would I found replaced my actual footage as a visual stimuli.

TECHNICAL DETAIL

After I had replaced my footage and audio with the new imports, I used position and scaling key-frames to emphasize what I was talking about in my voiceover. This also helped my video be more visually interesting because looking at a still image for too long would get boring.

Once I had all the exact footage I wanted using mark in and mark out techniques, I added video transitions because I also needed these to help keep my video visually interesting. I tried to keep a certain style for each particular part of my video. For example, I stuck to only using dissolve transitions once I started my b-roll footage of me driving. I didn’t want the transitions to seem random or out of place.

Definitely my biggest challenge was shooting my footage so early and only being able to shoot once. This restricted me so much and if I had a chance to do it again, then I would be sure I understood all the effective shooting mechanics covered in this course before I started shooting.

SOURCES

The three images I used in my video were gathered with a Creative Commons 0 License and were attained off the Wikipedia Commons photo upload.

Footage taken while am driving was taken by my brother, and he has given me permission to use it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s